Your refrigerated air assaults you by a stinky waft as you open its door. To reduce the odor the temperature helps little, and as you dig around to find the source of reek you’re forced to hold your nose. Maybe forgotten salad, leftover fish or ground beef has been hiding in the back corner for a few weeks – or even longer.
The filthy odor may linger even once you dispose of the moldy, decaying offender. The only thing contributing to your fridge odor may not be the outdated leftover, especially if it’s been a while since you cleaned the fridge. Prevent bad smells from returning and follow these simple tips to deodorize your refrigerator.
Refresh a Stinking Fridge
- Clean up: Thoroughly clean the fridge. Take out the shelves and drawers, and store food in a cooler for a while and Yes! Don’t forget to turn off the appliance first. Take out the removable shelves and bins and soak them in the sink with warm soapy water. Get some soapy water and vinegar, dampen a clean cloth in it and wipe down the fixed parts. Let the surface dry completely then put everything back in the fridge.
- Scent it up with Baking Soda: Baking soda absorbs smells. Put an open container of baking soda in the fridge and leave it for 24 hours to absorb all bad odorous smells. Do not use this baking soda afterwards and throw it away once it completes the job.
- Scent it up with freshly ground coffee: It will improve baking soda’s effect. Spread freshly ground coffee on a plate and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. (Afterwards instead of throwing away the coffee mix it up with soil and use it as a fertilizer for home plants).
- Leave Aroma Behind: Vanilla extract has a beautiful scent. Soak a few cotton balls in it and leave them in the fridge to deodorize the air with clean and fresh scent. An orange can also do the job here. Slice one up and put it in an open bowl in the fridge to freshen up the inner air with citrusy fragrance.
Prevent Horrible Smells from Returning
- Set correct temperature of the fridge: 37 to 41 degrees is the best temperature to store food in the refrigerator. You waste energy if it’s any colder; your food will stink after spoiling quickly if it’s any warmer.
- Good air circulation is a must: To better preserve the food on all shelves of the fridge satisfactory airflow of refrigerated air must be present. To check the temperature place a small thermometer in different parts of the fridge. If there is a huge difference in the temperature readings, it’s a sign you need refrigeration repair to reinstate good circulation.
- Properly store your food: Always use airtight containers to store the food. First, it keeps the food fresh for longer. Second, if the food goes bad it contains the smell instead of tainting the whole fridge. Next, store foods in their respective sections. Fruit and vegetable crispers are a good example to illustrate. They are designed to preserve the freshness and flavor longer than other parts of the fridge.
- Go through the fridge sometimes: Once a week go through the contents of the fridge and try to keep the leftovers on top. It lets you see when a leftover is about to go bad so you can throw it away before it makes a stink.
Water leakage, poor air circulation or other malfunction can also cause bad odor in the fridge. If so, please contact Appliance Guru for special offers to schedule refrigeration repair today. We’ll get your fridge up and running so you can use these tips to prevent bad odors from contaminating your fridge again.
I know you all have busy lives, and sometimes don’t have enough time to cook big and healthy meals. Your refrigerator is a blessing in disguise which you can use to hygienically store meals and snacks for the week.
Prep Ahead: Breakfast Bowls
Breakfast keeps our day fresh and provides the energy we need early in the morning. We all know it. Cooking a hearty breakfast takes time which most people don’t have during busy mornings. There’s an easy way out. Prepare your great breakfast bowls early in the week and eat them during busy mornings. A hearty breakfast can have cheese, potatoes and eggs. Just prepare them early in the week and store them in your refrigerator. Voila! A nice, big breakfast every morning! Have a look at the recipe here.
Another great breakfast that you can prepare early is overnight oatmeal. Prepare it a night before and keep a jar or bowl in the fridge overnight. Make it for a couple of nights if you want. Sub-Zero, Kenmore, KitchenAid and Whirlpool are some great refrigerator brands to store your food and keep your meals healthy. Then all you will have to do before going to work is grab a spoon and dig in! Prepare them as you like it and customize it to your taste. Add flavors like honey, cinnamon and cocoa or add many various fruits. Some great ideas are available here.
No Bake Energy Bites
A snack provides you the necessary energy boost for the day. It’s important to have one on hand. Why not! These energy bites are healthy, delicious and thank God easy to make. Just mix up the ingredients and put it in the fridge to chill. Have a look how its done.
Grilled Chicken Veggie Bowl
You come home after a long tiring day and what you would like the least is cooking a big meal. Evenings are supposed to be relaxing, right! Don’t be disappointed, what you can do is make a grilled chicken veggie bowl before time. The ingredients are healthy and yummy. Cook everything, store the bowls in the fridge and eat when you feel like so. It can be customized to your taste by addition of seasonal vegetables of your choice. Find the recipe here.
These storage appliances which we call refrigerators are no less than a blessing. But to prepare refrigerator meals you need your fridge in good working condition or else all your efforts along with the prepared food can go to waste! Find useful tips about refrigerator maintenance here.
Summer is not the time to delay any refrigeration repair issues. We service refrigerator repair of all major brands including Sub-Zero refrigerator repair, Kenmore refrigerator repair, Kitchenaid refrigerator repair, Whirlpool refrigerator repair, GE refrigerator repair, Viking refrigerator repair, and Traulsen refrigerator repair in these areas of Nassau County and Suffolk County. If you do not see your area or refrigerator brand here call Appliance Guru immediately at (631) 517-4341.
Its summer time and you must be planning to host backyard parties and barbecues this season. Your outdoor kitchen can be beautiful and inspirational. Have a look at the outdoor kitchen options;
The Patio Kitchen
This gorgeous outdoor kitchen sits quietly on the patio against your home’s back wall. Your home looks stylish with stone on the kitchen walls. It has got all the necessities for you, its complete with storage for firewood, sink, counter and grill. The covered kitchen provides you comfort and weather protection. Have a look at an example we found of this covered kitchen here.
The Open Kitchen
Cook and entertain with ease in this open kitchen. For cooking and dining there is ample counter space while the cook can grill and enjoy backyard view at the same time courtesy of the open kitchen design. Converse with your guests at your backyard barbeque party with comfort, or while you cook just enjoy watching your kids play outside. You can find an example of this beautiful and spacious kitchen here.
The Poolside Kitchen
This outdoor kitchen is perfect for a backyard with a pool. It provides you plenty of counter space and all necessary facilities. You can match the counter top and front of the kitchen with the pool area. And yes! The cook can enjoy having a look at the pool over the open kitchen while grilling. Serve as a chef and a lifeguard, host an end-of-the-school-year swim party for your child at this perfect vantage point. View this poolside kitchen here.
The Pergola Kitchen
This beautiful outdoor kitchen has wonderful facilities. The pergola offers shaded sitting area and adds visual appeal to space. Relax, sit and entertain guests in your backyard while enjoying the ambiance created by the fireplace and elegant lighting. See your dream pergola here and find more pergola ideas here.
Of course you need working appliances for an outdoor kitchen. Consult Appliance Guru | Home Appliance Repair Center for all your appliance maintenance and repair needs.
The classic gas vs. charcoal grill showdown is perhaps known to all. You may fancy charcoal while your best friend loves to have gas grill food. Every passionate griller has their preference. Well if you’re still in a fix, the trick is to reach the issue as impartially as possible to help you choose the right grill for you.
If you want to cook in your comfort zone then you will love the convenience and ease of gas grill while enjoying the pleasure of outdoor cooking. ‘I want it all’ comes to life for them.
- Ease of use: It’s easy to learn to operate a gas grill and it almost comes instinctively. It only takes 10 -15 minutes for them to heat up and to a relief maintain a steady temperature. Most importantly to clean them is not a nightmare!
- Tailored heat zones: What if you want to cook more than one food simultaneously? Well from heaven comes a multi-burner gas grill. Set the temperature to keep the cooked meal warm on low, grill veggies on medium and cook meat on high.
- Accessories: Convenience at its best is when your gas grill comes with a too many accessorizing options. Rotisserie attachments, side tables, spice racks, side burners, storage drawers, night lights and more make grilling a loveable affair.
- Temperature aren’t high enough: Cooking your steak to perfection keeping them crispy outside and medium-rare inside needs the grill temperature to reach a certain high level which is only possible in very expensive gas grills only. You can always cook food other than steak on gas grills just fine or even a steak if you like them well done.
- Signature flavor is missing: Adding wood chips to the grill gives a signature flavor isn’t an easy task. Unless your grill has a smoke box you’ll need to make your own foil packets. Then you’ll need more wood than usual due to poor sealing of gas grill lids.
- They’re expensive to buy and to keep: As they come with many accessories and complex parts, they cost quite a lot and more likely need repair often.
Traditional way to grill is charcoal grill. Those who are enthralled with the thought of playing with fire and setting up a charcoal grill often look down to others who cannot afford to appreciate the conventional ritual.
- High Heat: Oh Yes! They can produce heat up to 700 degrees F. One of the biggest reasons people love them is that charcoal gives the signature flavor to the steak or lamb with a crisp outside and nice juicy inside.
- That Smoky Flavor: Some things just cannot be imitated including a superior tasting smoky meat that charcoal lovers would even swear by.
- Less expensive: Charcoal grills cost less upfront, but how much running them costs depends upon fuel prices as the cost of briquettes tends to be higher than natural gas or propane.
- Messy: Charcoal is dirty to handle, but you never have to actually touch them if you use gloves or tongs. Well for some the fun is actually in this! But still be prepared to clear up the ash after you are done cooking.
- Cooking time is longer: Charcoal grills are not easy to light up and they almost take double the time to heat up in comparison to gas or propane grill.
- Controlling temperature is difficult: You actually hard to be sure about the temp you are cooking at and changing it quickly is not possible at all. You need to add more charcoal for longer cooking times as the temp gradually decreases.
- Flare-ups can burn food: With a squirt gun it’s possible to contain the flare-ups, this makes cooking a bit more panicky (or depends upon fun mantra!)
It’s not actually a Gas vs. Charcoal debate; it’s a showdown between compromises like convenience at the cost of signature flavor and price face-off with enough practice to yield excellent results. What would you like is just preference.
Your Frigidaire Affinity Front Load washer displays E21 on the screen and you are wondering how I can fix it or do I have to call an appliance repair expert. Well don’t worry! It is a common problem where water is not pumping out fast enough. Just understand and follow the instructions given below to have the washer repair service done by you.
One of the likely reasons could be a clogged drain filter. You have to take the panel in the rear out of the machine. Pull your machine out of the wall first then take out the panel. Now you must be able to see the drain pump. There is a drain filter inside this pipe. Disconnect the pipe between the pump and the tub. Clean this filter and reassemble the disconnected parts. Also, make sure the drain hose is only 6-8 inches down in the drain pipe. Put your machine back into the wall and give it a roundup. Your problem should be solved by this.
Perhaps a fix-it video can make you understand it better!
If you feel that this washing machine repair is beyond your ability then remember an inexpensive and time saving solution would be to call Appliance Guru home appliance repair service expert team to do the job in no time for you. If you have a problem of washer repair in Nassau County then give us a call at (631) 517-4341 or schedule a service with us to get a pre-visit diagnosis of the problem and its affordable solution.
Go Green is the lifeline for today and tomorrow. Many households and businesses has adopted this lifestyle and made it a routine to recycle newspapers, glass and aluminum cans. Recycled plastic is also used in most of the detergent and fabric softener bottles. Still, there is a lot more that could be done!
Recent reports of dosomething.org reveal that an average person produces 1.5 tons of solid waste per year and a little over 4 pounds of garbage per day. Astonishingly EPA approximates that around 75% of the waste Americans make is recyclable, of which only a mere 30% is recycled.
Recycling isn’t just throwing stuff into the recycle bin but it’s a little more thought provoking process. So when you’re about to recycle your laundry detergent bottles remember the below things. Cleaning Institute Website suggests a few ideas and tips.
- Don’t leave a drop in the bottle. Well you must be thinking its common sense but trust us it’s not. Most people do not consume the entire detergent bottle and throw it away. Get rid of it and pour it down the drain if the product is designed to be used with water.
- Make sure it’s clean. Rinse it out!
- Identify the type of plastic by checking the code on the bottom of the bottle. This will tell you if the product is accepted by your recycling community.
- Very few communities accept caps and pump spray tops. Check if yours does. You’ll most likely have to find another way to use them of have them disposed separately.
- Check for any label removal requirements by your community. Though most communities’ rules allow you to leave labels on empty bottles but it’s always better to check.
- Save space on the pickup truck. Flatten out or squash your bottles, if you can.
Remember those dishwashers made years back with big old honking motors that shoved the water with pressure and blasted your dishes clean. DP940PWPQ2 is an example model number of these classic dishwashers which were also sold under the name Kenmore. Pity is they make such models anymore. Now the dishwashers come with a separate pump and a baby wash motor.
Now these old machines too needed repair and maintenance. However, the difference between those classic ones and the new baby ones is that the old ones were usually quite simple and low cost to repair like the one we’re about to see here.
Most common problem with these old sea horses was that they won’t drain the dirty water out of the basin. Following things show that there a problem with the washer drain;
- Dirty dishes at the end of wash cycle
- Wash cycle ends but dirty water is still in the basin
- Dirty water will not pump out of the basin
It’s an easy problem to fix and usually doesn’t require any parts given you do it correctly. Have a look at this video to learn how to drain the dishwasher yourself.
Sometimes you’ll see weird stuff stuck in the check valves. You may find
If you still feel you cannot do it all on your own then call at (631) 517-4341 and allow an Appliance-Guru dishwasher repair expert to fix it for you.
What’s your laundry routine? You put bucket load of dirty clothes in the washer, start it up and rush to the couch to watch your favorite TV show. Something strange, very strange happens in the washing area!
After you are done with your favorite show, you hear the sound of your nightmares. Water running from the laundry area into the hallway! EEK! You forget to enjoy the Doritos anymore, get up grunting on your elder boy and rush down the hall to find out what’s wrong in the washer area. You haven’t gone far away when your cute pink bunny shoes are splattering through a puddle of water. Now you realize, your nightmare has come to life. It’s a washer flood out!
When your washer is filled with water a washer level control switch tells your washer that now it’s enough and the washer is full. What has happened now is that your washer gets filled with water, like it always does, and it then it fills and fills and fills. The washer level control switch goes for an eternal vacation and no one tells the washer that buddy stop filling up, you’re done! Welcome to the world of Appliance-Guru Washer Repair Service.
Now you must be thinking, I should’ve listened to that kind in-home service repair guy who not long ago told you that you really, really need a FloodControl on your washer. It was not an expensive suggestion and you could’ve avoided the disaster of washer overfill. But how on earth you could’ve trusted someone who straightaway used words like “Disaster” for your own good? And besides, that money was always going to be spent on Dish TV you’ve been aching for so long! Well, now you’ve got mess of a world in your trailer to clean up, aren’t you? PSSS.. save yourself the hassle and give a call now to washer repair experts at Appliance-Guru Home Repair Service at (631) 517-4341.
Refrigerator is the heart of your kitchen and your household depends on it. New or old you expect them to keep working efficiently for many years to come. For these expectations to come true your refrigerator needs care. It can last longer and keep your food cold if you follow refrigerator maintenance and operating tips. Here is what you need to do.
Clean the Condenser Coils
Condenser coils take the warm air out of your refrigerator and freezer and keeps your food cold. You can find them either underneath or behind the refrigerator. After some time you will find dust and food particles attached to surface of coils. The refrigerator then works extra to function properly which reduces its efficiency. Ultimately it wears out and asks for expensive repairs. It is a common problem with an easy solution.
It’s quite an easy refrigerator maintenance step and you can clean the condenser coils yourself. To have a look at the coils pull your fridge away from the wall or take out the frame at the bottom. If needed, clean the coils with a brush long enough to reach the corners then vacuum the dust away. Do it every six months to increase the efficient working life of your refrigerator.
Check the Rubber Door Gasket
You must have seen a rubber around the door of refrigerator. It helps maintain a tight seal and keep the cold air inside the refrigerator and freezer. The rubber door gasket collects dust particles and wears out over time. In this situation the warmer air easily gets into the fridge and affects the cooling. The refrigerator now works harder to cool down the extra heat. This reduces efficiency of your fridge and it wears out faster. And Yes! It also means higher energy bills.
To keep the door gasket in good working condition for longer time, clean it periodically with an all-purpose cleaner. If you feel the gasket is losing its strength, conduct the dollar bill test. Shut refrigerator door on a dollar bill and try pulling it out. If it comes out easily then you have a faulty gasket. Refrigerator repair experts at Appliance-Guru can replace your refrigerator gasket in no time.
Defrost the Refrigerator
Over time frost starts collecting on the coils inside the refrigerator affecting its efficiency and making it work harder. Problem of refrigerator not cooling occurs and temperature maintenance becomes a difficulty. This may spoil your food and waste your money. It is a common problem in hot and humid climates. This problem is resolved in newer refrigerator models as they auto defrost themselves.
However, not everyone has a new appliance. If your refrigerator model is a little older one then be prepared to see frost build ups inside your fridge. When this accumulation becomes half an inch thick it shows it’s time to defrost the refrigerator. Plug it out or turn the thermostat off, take out all the food, leave the door open and let the ice melt. To keep your floor clean chip off the ice as it melts and put it in the sink. Return the temperature to normal and put all the food back in when the ice has completely melted.
For more refrigerator maintenance tips, or to schedule fridge repair, please contact Appliance-Guru. We’ll put your fridge back in shape so it functions efficiently and lasts longer.